Choosing the right material for your jewelry is a crucial decision that goes beyond aesthetics. Two popular options that often come into consideration are sterling silver and stainless steel. Each material has its own set of advantages and drawbacks. In this blog post, we'll delve into the pros and cons of sterling silver and stainless steel to help you make an informed decision when it comes to selecting
Our huggies and charms are made in sterling silver

Pros and Cons of Sterling Silver:


1. Timelessness: Sterling silver has been a favorite for centuries due to its timeless and classic appearance. Its lustrous, white finish makes it an ideal choice for various jewelry styles.

2. Higher Precious Metal Content: Sterling silver is composed of 92.5% pure silver, making it a precious metal. The remaining 7.5% is usually copper, which adds durability and strength. We also goldplate our jewelry with 14K gold.

This is probably the biggest difference! Sterling silver metal is precious and will always hold some value. You can also remelt silver for new jewelry! 

3. Hypoallergenic: Sterling silver is generally hypoallergenic, making it a suitable choice for individuals with sensitive skin!

4. Versatility: Sterling silver jewelry can be easily molded into intricate designs, making it a preferred choice for detailed pieces such as rings, earrings, and pendants.


1. Tarnishing: One of the main drawbacks of sterling silver is its tendency to tarnish over time due to exposure to air and moisture. Regular cleaning and maintenance are required to keep the jewelry looking its best. You can easily clean your jewelry with silver cleaner or a polishing cloth. However, if your jewelry is goldplated be careful not to rub off the plating! Always store your jewelry in airtight containers if possible.

2. Softness: Pure silver is relatively soft, and while the addition of copper improves durability, sterling silver jewelry can still scratch or dent more easily than other metals.


Our Whirl Earrings are made in stainless steel

Pros and Cons of Stainless Steel:


1. Durability: Stainless steel is highly durable and resistant to scratches, corrosion, and tarnish. You can even wear stainless steel in water!! This makes it an excellent choice for everyday wear! 

2. Affordability: Stainless steel is often more affordable than sterling silver, making it an attractive option for budget-conscious consumers without compromising on quality. You can get larger pieces of jewelry, that would have been way more expensive in silver.

3. Low Maintenance: Stainless steel jewelry requires minimal maintenance. It doesn't tarnish or rust, and a simple wipe with a clean cloth is usually sufficient to keep it looking new.

4. Modern Aesthetics: Stainless steel's sleek and contemporary appearance makes it a popular choice for modern and minimalist jewelry designs.


1. Limited Malleability: Stainless steel is not as malleable as sterling silver, making it challenging to create intricate and detailed designs. This can limit the variety of styles available.

2. Weight: Stainless steel is denser than sterling silver, making it heavier. While some people prefer the weighty feel, others may find it less comfortable, especially for larger pieces. We make all our stainless steel pieces hollow to combat this issue!


Ultimately, the choice between sterling silver and stainless steel for jewelry depends on personal preferences, budget constraints, and the intended use of the pieces. Sterling silver offers a classic, elegant look but requires more maintenance, while stainless steel provides durability and a modern aesthetic at a more affordable price. Whether you prioritize tradition or functionality, understanding the pros and cons of each material will help you make an informed decision when selecting your next piece of jewelry.

Back to blog

Leave a comment